Are you thinking about selling your house? You might be surprised to learn that buyers really care about energy efficiency and eco-friendly features these days, especially during the summer.
Indeed, the National Association of Realtors (NAR) 2023 Realtors and Sustainability Report reveals that 48% of agents or brokers have observed consumer interest in sustainability.
So, if you are contemplating selling your house, why should this concern you? It helps you to understand what actions you can take to enhance the attractiveness of your house to today’s buyers. Jessica Lautz, Deputy Chief Economist and VP of Research at NAR, states:
“Buyers often seek homes that either lessen their environmental footprint or reduce their monthly energy costs. There is value in promoting green features and energy information to future home buyers.”
Enhance Your Home’s Appeal by Making Upgrades
To make your house more environmentally friendly and attractive to buyers, it’s important to work with a local agent who understands the preferences of buyers in your area. According to the NAR report, the following green home features are highly valued by buyers across the country:
- Energy-efficient windows, doors, and siding.
- Convenient proximity to frequently visited locations.
- Creating a comfortable living space.
- A home’s utility bills and ongoing expenses.
Although you can’t move your house to a different location, there are things you can do to make it more comfortable and save money for the future owners. According to ENERGY STAR, here are some suggested upgrades that you might find worthwhile:
- Heating and cooling: To make sure your HVAC system works efficiently, it’s important to take good care of it and have it serviced regularly. If necessary, you can think about upgrading to a high-efficiency model.
- Water heater: Your water heater consumes a large amount of energy. By upgrading to a heat pump water heater, you can greatly reduce energy usage and attract buyers who care about the environment.
- Smart thermostat: Much of your energy expense is from heating and cooling your home. To improve control over temperature settings and reduce energy consumption, consider installing a programmable thermostat. This not only enhances comfort but also helps decrease energy usage.
- Attic insulation: Ensuring your attic is properly sealed and insulated can prevent air leaks and keep a comfortable temperature inside your home. This reduces the workload on heating and cooling systems.
- Energy-efficient windows: By installing energy-efficient windows, you can reduce heat loss and decrease your energy expenses.
It’s important to know that there are potential tax credits and rebates available for making energy-efficient improvements to your home. These incentives can help reduce the costs associated with eco-friendly upgrades.
When getting ready to sell your house, remember that real estate agents are valuable sources of information. They can advise you on which upgrades would attract buyers in your area and suggest which green features to highlight in your listing. If you’ve recently made these improvements, be sure to inform your agent so they can showcase them to potential buyers.
Focusing on energy efficiency and eco-friendly features can make your house more appealing to today’s buyers. Let’s get in touch to make sure you’re selecting the right upgrades for our local market.